Sunday, December 23, 2018

Advent 4C

Advent 4C December 23, 2018 I’ve been thinking about the Magnificat this week, as our 4th Sunday of Advent will tumble quickly into Christmas Eve. The famous song of Mary, which has been set to so many different types of music and sung throughout the centuries is almost benign to me in its familiarity. When you really sit down and think about it, the Magnificant is an amazing statement that was sung by a teenager; Mary was probably about 13 or 14 when she was chosen by God as the one to be the mother to Jesus. And her vision for what the kingdom of God will look like in and through Jesus’s birth is one that can still speak to us, even today. This past summer, at the middle school session of camp at Honey Creek (where at least four of our St. Thomas youth were present), the 12-14 year olds there, were invited to re-write the Magnificat to reflect the concerns of modern day teenagers. It’s an interesting exercise to think about how Mary would say it, if she had it to do over again as a teenager, today. I was curious as to what they wrote, so I asked my friend, who was one of the spiritual directors for that session to send it to me, and as I read it, my curiosity was quickly replaced with awe. Just as Mary has taught us throughout the centuries, her Magnificat continues to speak, and for me, has taken on new life in the words of our teenagers who also wrestle with living more fully into the lives of faith to which God calls them and helping to be more fully a part of the kingdom of God. I’m going to read to you The Middle School Magnificat. And I invite you to take a copy and spend some time sitting with this, as you prepare for the annual celebration of Jesus’s birth two days from now.   The Middle School Magnificat Honey Creek, Camp St. Peter II, July 2018 My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord, my spirit rejoices in God my Savior; For he has looked with favor on his lowly servant. From this day all generations will call me blessed: The Almighty has done great things for me, and holy is his Name. He guides those who are misled and protects the wounded. He brings happiness to those who have been judged, and he opens the eyes of those who cast judgment. He has scattered the intolerant; he has educated the close-minded and provided acceptance and equality to the downtrodden. He has welcomed the oppressed. He has made it so we can express ourselves without fear of being picked on or ashamed; he has removed the masks of the insecure. He has dis-empowered the bullies, but rescued their victims; he has raised up the kind. He has cleansed the world of violence and brought peace. The promise he made to our fathers and mothers, To Abraham and Sarah and their children for ever. This is what we pray for to be born into our hearts and our world at Christmas. May we have the courage of Mary and our teenagers to say: Amen! Come, Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment