Monday, September 21, 2009

Not your mother's church

I have recently started a new position as Rector of St. Peter's by-the-Sea Episcopal Church in Gulport, MS. This new job has included a move for my entire family--a major transition for my husband and me as well as for our two small children, who had only ever known McComb as their home.

I had been worried about how my five year old daughter would adapt to life in a new place and especially life in a new church. Clergy kids have such a blessed and a cursed existence. Because of their connection to the priest, they are often cast into the spotlight just by association. In a way, they become the property of the entire church, almost like a church pet, and this can truly be a blessing, as we have experienced in the past, as the parish showers upon them love and attention that is truly like grace--well beyond what could ever be asked for our imagined. We definietly experienced this at Mediator-Redeemer, and I was somewhat anxious as to what it would be like for my children at my new cure.

Just before this past Sunday (after two Sundays at the new church), D was talking to MM (5 year old daughter) about what was going to happen on Sunday. He told her that he would be serving his last Sunday in Crystal Springs, and that she and her brother "would be going with Mommy to Mommy's church." At this point in the conversation, MM interrupted and said, "You mean we are all going to MY church."

It made my heart glad to hear those words come from her and the sense of belonging that she already feels. It speaks greatly about the warm welcome that we have received here, as well as about the unique way that children adapt to the world around them. And it reminds me of what I used to feel in the church of my childhood, how I knew it was MY church and would walk the stairways and halls with a sense of belonging.

My prayers this night is that I might learn about new beginnings, welcome, and transitions from my daughter and plunge right into belonging with no hesitation or reservations. And my prayer is that all the children of our church may proudly say, "It's not Mommy or Daddy's church. It's MY church!"

No comments:

Post a Comment